I can’t begin to tell you how excited I am about this recipe. My kids love goldfish, and now I have a replacement! I heard about the inventor of this recipe, Chef Chloe Coscarelli, through a Marie TV episode. If you don’t know Marie Forleo of Marie TV, she is AMAZING. She is essentially an online business coach whose motto is “Marie TV: The place to be if you want to create a business and life you love.” Her videos are fantastic, inspiring, and motivating. If you have a job you don’t love, or you know you were meant for more than what you’re doing professionally, I highly suggest you start following her NOW. But back to Chef Chloe. She is the first vegan baker who has ever won the reality show Cupcake Wars, and she now has three cookbooks out. I checked out her website and was fascinated with her homemade vegan goldfish crackers. She even has a link to buy the little teeny tiny goldfish cookie cutter shape! I printed the recipe and tried it as soon as I got home. I promised myself that if they turned out tasty that I would invest in the cookie cutter. And guess what, they’re BOMB! Consider that order placed.
Although it does contain flour in her original recipe, I am proud to say that I was able to gluten-free-anize it! My super picky 4-year old said, “Mmmm, these are good!”
Baked Homemade Goldfish Crackers (gluten-free, egg-free, dairy-free, soy-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan)
Recipe adapted from Chef Chloe’s Vegan Goldfish Crackers
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for work surface (for gluten-free, use 1/3 cup brown rice flour, 1/3 cup sorghum flour, and 1/3 cup potato starch or tapioca starch)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (next time I may use even less because my 7-year old identified it immediately)
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric (for coloring)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper (optional, but recommended for adults)
- 5 tablespoons vegan margarine (I used Earth Balance Organic Coconut Spread. It does not taste like coconut, and it is soy-free! Be sure to use directly from the refrigerator because it melts fast, you want to use it in its solid state for this recipe.)
- 3 tablespoons cold water (I put water in a bowl and added ice cubes, waited a minute, then measured the water from the bowl to ensure it was cold)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Add all of the dry ingredients to a food processor and process until well blended.
3. Add the margarine to the food processor, and pulse 15 times until beads of the flour/margarine mixture form.
4. Add the cold water to the food processor, and pulse until just combined.
5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and roll until it’s approximately 1/4″ thick.
6. Use small cookie cutters to press into the dough, then transfer to the baking sheet.
7.Bake for 12-15 minutes (a few minutes longer depending on the thickness and size of your crackers as they compare to the goldfish shape).