I couldn’t possible be more excited about my favorite time of year. Thanksgiving with family, our annual tradition of cutting down a Christmas tree the day after Thanksgiving, putting up Christmas decorations, listening to Disney holiday music, and making festive meals, desserts, and drinks tied to the fall and winter seasons. On Friday night, I watched my three kids dancing around the tree, adding all of our ornaments to the only the bottom two feet while I brewed some homemade apple cider, and I literally sat down on the couch for a moment and thought nothing could possible beat this. (Actually, it could have been slightly better if it wasn’t Disney music that was blasting, but aside from that, it really was a spectacular moment.)
The following morning, I made one of my favorite festive morning smoothies that reminds me of the holidays: a creamy and divine smoothie that tastes and smells of frothy cinnamon.
- 1 cup unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1 frozen banana OR 1 room temperature banana with four ice cubes if you prefer your smoothie cold (Be sure to peel the banana before you freeze it!)
- 1 Tbsp sunflower seed butter
- 2 dates
- ¼ cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp maca powder
- Remove peel from banana and place in freezer. You can skip this step if you’re in a rush to make your shake and you don’t have a frozen banana on hand by adding a room temperature banana and 4 ice cubes.
- Add the nondairy milk to the blender, followed by the banana, then add the remaining ingredients. I prefer to add all of my dry ingredients at the end, so they don’t stick to the sides of the blender when I turn it on.
- Slowly turn on the blender, and once all of the ingredients are incorporated, turn the blender up to high until combined.